Southeastern Massachusetts Youth Orchestras Summer Camp
SEMAYO 2022 Summer Camp
Thank you for visiting the Southeastern Massachusetts Youth Orchestras (SEMAYO) 2022 Summer Camp page! We are a youth orchestra program of multiple levels of performing orchestral groups and we are hosting our first summer camp. We’re so happy you’re joining us!
Our summer camp, SEMAYO Summer 2022, is offering multiple performing groups of various skill levels so everyone has a place to be. We are also offering other opportunities such as special guests, masterclasses, field games, music theory, music history, and more!
Interested students will need to submit an audition video due Wednesday, June 29, 2022 for ensemble placement purposes. Instructions on the video submission will be forthcoming for registered campers. Please note we are also accepting wind and percussion students to this camp. Camp is open to any students that have completed the 5th grade up to age 17.
Here’s the info you’ll need to decide if you can attend camp:
Location: University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 285 Old Westport Road, College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) building (parking lot 9)
Dates: Monday, July 25 – Friday, July 29
Times: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (drop off 8:30 – 9:00 am)
Performance: July 29. 3:00 pm
Cost: $250 for single campers. Please add $125 for each additional sibling. Full payments only. No refunds after Monday, July 11th, 2022. Please email Mr. Daniels at email@example.com with any questions.
A sum of money is set aside each year to assist participants who might otherwise be unable to participate in the youth orchestra summer camp. The NBSO ensures confidentiality. SEMAYO Summer Camp Financial Aid Form-(2022)
All campers are asked to submit an audition video for ensemble placement purposes. The videos allow us to have more time playing during camp and help us have music ready to go on the first day. Any students that are actively enrolled and participating in SEMAYO are not required to audition. Video submissions are due Wednesday, June 29th. Please send, share, or email your videos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winds & Percussion Audition Requirements
Any Woodwind & Brass players will be placed into an appropriate group based on their audition.
- A 2-minute excerpt of a piece or movement you are working on or have completed
- Your choice of two of the following scales
- C, G, D, A, F, Bb, Eb scale (1 octave in 8th notes, slurred while ascending and articulated when descending)
String Audition Requirements
Group 1 – Beginner
- 1 song of your choice. Examples: your assigned part from school music, Suzuki Book 1 or one fun packet song
- 1 octave D Major scale
– optional – violin/viola: 1 octave G major scale starting on the D string
– optional – cello: 1 octave C major scale starting on the G string
– optional – bass: 1 octave C major scale starting on the A string
Group 2 – Intermediate
- A 2-minute excerpt of a piece or movement you are working on or have completed. Examples: Suzuki Book 2 or 3, Junior District/All-State pieces
- The following scales
- Violin/Viola/Cello: 2 octave D and G Major scale
- Bass: 2 octave G Major scale
Group 3 – Advanced
- Two contrasting excerpts (one fast tempo, one slow tempo) of pieces or movements you are working on or have completed. Each excerpt should be 2-5 minutes long and should showcase your technique, tone quality, articulation, dynamic range, and expression. Examples: Suzuki Book 4+, Senior district/All-State pieces
- The following scales
- Violin/Viola/Cello: two different 3 octave scales of your choice
Bass: 2 octave E major scale and 2 octave A major scale (A scale must use thumb position)
Learn more about Southeastern Massachusetts Youth Orchestras (SEMAYO) at https://www.semayo.org/
The SEMAYO Summer Camp 2022 Application must be completed and returned before registration is complete.
Pay Your Tuition Online: (when checking out, please add camper name(s) in the “Company” box under Shipping Address.
SEMAYO Summer Camp 2022 – One Student
SEMAYO Summer Camp 2022 – Additional Sibling(s)